Termites are such a nuisance. They damage structural timber, infest your garden and can even cause your home to become unstable. By under mining your homes foundation and eating your structural timber, Termites can cause cracks, broken structure and worst case scenario, cave inns! In this post, we will dive in to how they look, how to identify an infestation and best of all get rid of Termites in Johannesburg.
Johannesburg is home to quite a number of Termite species, some infest homes and some don’t. Its the ones that cause damage that you should be concerned about. These nasty nuisances can cause heartache and thousands of Rand’s in potential damages. Its always best to prevent an infestation rather that cure one.
So, how do you identify a termite infestation?
- First things first, you need to familiarize yourself with the area. Figure out weather your home of business in in a Termite area or not. If your staying in a area that’s prone to Infestations, you need to check weather you have any protection against a potential termite infestation. If your home of business has undergone a Soil Poisoning treatment or a Pre-Construction make sure if your still guarantee. If your not, if might be worth your wile looking into that. We happen so have Termite treatments that are long lasting and fully guaranteed. Prevention is always better than cure.
- The most common sign of a Termite infestation is the damage they cause. They do this by packing their chosen piece of timber with mud. They move around within the mud, cultivating the mold and cellulose they feed on. This mold is used to help break down the cellulose in their gut. This very same mold feeds of moisture and cellulose in wood. Termites also feed off cellulose. This is the most abundant compound to nature, its found in wood, cotton and pretty much any organic fibers in nature. All the feeding and cultivation causes damage. This damage is either visible by sagging or cracking. If you floor or roof is sagging or unstable, you may have a problem. Having bouncy floors may be fun at first but can indicate compromise wood. Cracking also occurs as a result of damage. Load bearing wooden beams crack once compromised.
- Mud tubes are made by Termites as a means to gain access to timber of their next desired meal. These will almost certainly be present along with an infestation. Ever noticed strange upright mud pillars, these are Termite super highways uses to carry your home away to their lair.
- Discarded wings are also a makeshift way to identify any Termite infestation here in Johannesburg. During the warmer summer months, Termites develop wings. They use these wings to find females, mate and establish new colonies. Once the dead is done, they discard their wings. Usually along the external perimeter of your wall or your windowsill. If you find an abundance of Termite wings, chances are the colony is not too fat away.
What do Termites look like?
Termites are small little Insects, similar in size to Ants. Workers average in size at about 3mm in length. They are bling with a soft body and range in color between grayish white, to a lite cinnamon color. They are mostly wingless, have straight antennae and 6 legs.
What attracts Termites to your home in Johannesburg?
The nature and biology of termites gives us insight as to what they need to survive. Their ideal habitat and what attracted termites to the greater Johannesburg area in the first place. To successfully get rid of Termites in Johannesburg you need to know what attracted them in the first place.
Termites are attracted to warm moist areas. The weather and ambient temperature Johannesburg hosts throughout the year provides the perfect breeding ground to there nuisance Insects.
- Termites love moist and warm soil. The warmth allows their metabolism to speed up. This ingresses the rate at which they breed. The high humidity provides moisture that prevents them from dehydrating.
- Termites feed to cellulose in wood. If you have an excess of fire wood, garden debris or pretty much any wooden items laying around you home or garden. Its recommended to get rid of it. To successfully get rid of termites in Johannesburg, you need to remove their sustenance. This includes getting rid of old timber, wood and any excess timber in your property.
- Termites prefer moist and undisturbed areas. This would include cluttered garden sheds. Sub floor spaces that have insufficient ventilation and even store rooms or basements within your home or business. Have proper sub-floor ventilation installed. Damp proof basements and tool sheds and ensure you garden has sufficient drainage.
Get rid of Termites in Johannesburg to prevent damage and costly repairs
Unfortunately Termites are a major Pest throughout Johannesburg and surrounding areas. DIY products prove useless and without the knowledge and equipment, one can not get rid of Termites in Johannesburg on your own. Fair play, one can always make living conditions in your home and garden unsuitable for unwanted inhabitants. This isn’t always possible though. Its during thee times that you need professional intervention.
Here at Johannesburg Pest Control we pride our in quality workmanship. We guarantee our treatments and assure you a clean and tidy, effective Termite treatment. If you live within the Greater Johannesburg area, please feel free to give us a call. Our quotations are free and have no obligation linked.
Weather you have Termites, Wood Borer Beetle or even normal pests such as Cockroaches or Ants, make us your first port of call.